DIY Marble Trinket Dish

/
3 Comments

Marble, dish, jewellery, jewellery dish, trinket dish, clay, fimo, sculpey


Hi Guys!

Recently I've been on the hunt for all things marble but after scouting every home wares store in my area most were either too expensive or just plain non existent.

So that's where the idea sprouted to create my own. After using some inspiration from Southbynorth, I set off to the craft store on my marble mission.

You will need:

- Polymer clay (I used sculpey clay here - 1 block white and 1/2 a block of pewter)
- A permanent marker
- A rolling pin or large jar or cup
- A large round based jar or object (to trace your round shape)
- An oven safe bowl
- Baking paper (optional)
- Clay knife
- Fine sandpaper
- Metallic paint or gilding (I used copper coloured to fit with the theme of my bedroom)
- Paintbrush

1. Make sure your working area is clean, wash your hands and remove your jewellery. As I found out, white coloured clay finds dirt you didn't even know existed.

2. Roll out your clay into long sausage like strands and twist together to combine colours into a swirl.



clay, fimo, sculpey


3. Using your hand or rolling pin, combine colours until you get your desired effect. The combinations are endless. Be careful not to mix too much as this will result in all the colours combining into one. At this point I decided that I wanted some darker parts in my design so rolled up my clay again and drew a line of permanent marker down the side and twisted to incorporate into the clay. This is totally optional however I really like that it gave some more depth to the colours and created a stronger marbled look.





4. Once you've found a look you like, roll flat and place a round jar or object (I used the container from my protein powder) and use it to cut a template for your dish.

5. Lay your clay design into an oven proof dish. The shape of the dish you use will determine the shape of the finished product. I cut a strip of baking paper and laid it on the bottom before my design partly to make for an easy removal because I didn't know whether it would stick and partly so that if it did, my mum wouldn't scream at me for ruining her bowl.




6. Bake in the oven as per manufacturers recommendations. Mine said 110°C for 15 mins but it may vary slightly depending on type/brand of clay. If you are using air dry clay you won't have to bother about baking but will have to wait a while for it to set.

7. After your clay has cooled and set, remove it from the dish and sand gently around the edge where you want to paint. 

8. Paint the around the edge with metallic paint and leave to dry.

9. You could seal your dish with varnish to give it a little more protection and a glossy finish however it isn't essential and I haven't sealed mine.

Bowl, Marble, clay, fimo, sculpey, marble trinket dish



10. Voila! you are now able to enjoy your marble dish!




Hope you enjoyed this tutorial, let me know your favourite marble DIY in the comments so I can give it a try!





You may also like

3 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I want to make loads of marble coloured things now and I love the copper touch it really made the trinket dish extra special :)

    Leanne | www.oohsimplething.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm very quickly becoming obsessed! x

      Delete
  2. This is amazing! I want to make loads of marble coloured things now and I love the copper touch it really made the trinket dish extra special :)

    Leanne | www.oohsimplething.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.